Veteran of the Week | Captain Justin J. Ware, US Army

Highlands can take great pride in the many men and women who have volunteered or been drafted to serve the nation during all of its wars since the Revolution.

Not all of them can be acknowledged, praised or thanked, nor is the history of each and the sacrifices he or she made always fully known.

During November, will feature at least one Highlands veteran a week who has served our nation so admirably, and hopes it brings to mind other veterans who may not be recognized but are equally honored.

If you have a particular veteran whose story you would like told, I invite you to send a photo and information to


Capt. Ware’s story is one of extreme sacrifice and a life time of pain caused by injuries sustained during World War II as well as further sacrifices and dedication to the nation after he was discharged on April 16, 1946 due to those injuries

Born in Cincinnati, Ohio, Capt. Ware and his wife, Priscilla Thorburn Ware, lived on Portland Rd. for 33 years. He served as a captain with the US Army during World War II, serving in both the Naples-Foggie and Rome-Arno campaigns. He was captured and held in a prisoner of war prison , OFLAG64 in Szubin, Poland, before being freed and returned home with injuries and bodily deterioration.

During his active duty military service, Capt. Ware was awarded the World War II Victory ribbon, the American Theater ribbon, the Combat Infantry badge, the European African Middle Eastern Campaign with two bronze stars, as well as the Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster, meaning he earned the Purple Heart for not one, but two different injuries at separate times.

But his military history and dedication to the nation did not end with his honorable discharge.

After the war, Capt. Ware went on to testify before a US military tribunal about numerous German war crimes. Included in his testimony are accounts of improper medical care while a prisoner at the Lazarat Military Hospital in Wolstein, Poland, testimony on the death of more than one prisoner of war whom he could specifically identify, as well as the sentence and executin of another American Prisoner of War. He also testified about the German confiscation of American military uniforms at prisoner of war camps.

After his discharge, Capt. Ware continued his work as a self-employed textile designer. Leaving Highlands to live in both Mexico and Washington for several years, he returned to Highlands in 1979 and spent approximately four more years here until he was transferred to a Veterans Memorial Home where he lived the last eight years of his life.

Capt. Ware died May 24, 1991, separated from his wife, and leaving no descendants. He was 79 years of age.


Related Posts

See All